The application process for applying for a high-risk work (HRW) licence in Queensland is more straightforward than you may think. Through formal training conducted by a registered training organisation (RTO) approved to deliver the particular course, you can have the right to apply for a high-risk work licence in a matter of days.

Ensuring you are trained and assessed by a properly registered organisation is essential. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to choose an RTO and what to expect while applying for your licence. 

Types Of High-Risk Work (HRW) Licences

There are three main types of high-risk work licences:

General Construction Induction Training Card (EWP A Yellow Card)

This is the most common type of high-risk work licence and is required for any type of construction work. It demonstrates that the holder can safely operate any of the following:

  • Vertical Lift (VL)
  • Scissor Lift (SL)
  • Self Propelled Boom Lift (BL)
  • Trailer Lift (TL)
  • Truck Mounted Lift (TM)
  • Advanced Boom (AB)

Electrical workers, arborists, painters, firemen, window washers, warehouse staff and more should all hold this licence to safely operate the above machinery. 

Working at Heights Licence

As the name suggests, this licence is required if you will be working at heights of two metres or more above ground level. This makes it a required licence for anyone who will work on scaffolding, roofs, arborists, window cleaners and more. 

Even those who work on deep excavation where pits exceed two metres in depth are required to hold this licence. 

Operating a Forklift Licence 

This licence is required if you will be operating a forklift in any capacity, including loading and unloading goods. 

Warehouse workers, delivery drivers, dock workers and more can all benefit from holding this licence. 

Why High-Risk Licences Matter

If you’ve received informal workplace training or have informal learning regarding high-risk work activities, you may be wondering why you still need a licence. The reason is simple, legislation in Queensland and across Australia requires that you do. 

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) requires all those who participate in high-risk work to have the appropriate licensing as this ensures not only the safety of the employee but those around them also. 

Holding an HRW licence in Queensland demonstrates (and proves) that you have completed the formal training required and can safely work in high-risk roles or occupations. 

WHSQ performs regular audits to ensure those performing these high-risk jobs hold a relevant HRW licence – with heavy penalties for those businesses that do not comply. 

Finding An RTO

To locate a registered training organisation that is qualified to deliver your training and assessment, you should visit Only recognised RTOs are permitted to deliver the required training and statement of attainment necessary to obtain a high-risk work licence. 

How To Apply For A High-Risk Work Licence 

Application for a high-risk work licence is done following the successful completion of the associated training course. 

Following assessment by your trainer, if successful, you will be given a statement of attainment or equivalent. Within 60 days of receiving this documentation, you must apply for the related licence via your local WHS regulator. Once issued, your licence is then valid for 5 years. 

It is important to renew your licence within 12 months of its expiry. Failure to do so will mean you are required to attend the training again and obtain a new statement of attainment from a relevant RTO. 

Additional Requirements For Obtaining A Licence

Before applying for your licence, you must ensure you have met the requirements for that particular licence. 

  1. You must have completed the required training courses and possess industry-related qualifications or competencies.
  2. You will also need to provide identification documents such as a birth certificate or passport.

While applying for a high-risk work licence following training is very straightforward, the training beforehand to obtain the required statement of attainment can be more involved. 

How Sheer Workplace Training Can Help 

As outlined above there are several different high-risk work (HRW) licences that you can pursue training for. At Sheer Workplace Training we offer in-depth, accredited training in all high-risk work fields and can supply attendees with the required statement of attainment upon successful completion of the course. 

Depending on the course chosen you will undertake training over a period of one to two days or more. Our courses are designed to be enjoyable and engaging and above all, prepare you to work in your chosen high-risk occupation safely. 

Why Choose Us? 

With over three decades of combined experience, our team offers unmatched training that has been tailored to meet the needs of an ever-evolving industry. E adhere to all core competencies and focus on ensuring our attendees leave with the necessary skills to work safely and return home safely every day.

To learn more or book your HRW licence training course, contact our team at 07 3901 0804