Working in high-risk occupations requires knowledge of and adherence to specific safety standards. Obtaining the necessary licenses is paramount to ensure the safety of workers and those around them. To work legally in high-risk professions, there are several workplace health and safety regulations and requirements that must be met.

At Sheer Workplace Training, we offer vocational education and training for high-risk work (HRW) and have established a reputation as innovative, engaging trainers. 

In this article, we’ll explore the regulations surrounding obtaining licenses for working in high-risk occupations and how to secure high-risk work licenses.  

Different Types Of High-Risk Licenses And Certifications 

There are several different types of high-risk work licenses and certifications and each license class give the holder the ability to engage in different types of work across a variety of industries. 

These licenses and certifications include:

  • Forklift licenses
  • Hoist licenses (including the elevated work platform license EWP)
  • Dogging and Riggin licenses
  • Crane and reach stacker licences
  • Scaffolding equipment licenses
  • Work Safely At Height
  • Enter and Work in Confined Spaces 
  • Verification of Competence (VOC)
  • Yellow Card Certification
  • White Card Certification and more. 

Benefits Of Obtaining Licences For High-risk Occupations

Pursuing one or more of these licenses or certifications is beneficial for many reasons. Not only does this ensure you are performing your job safely and in accordance with the laws of your state or territory, but your employment opportunities are expanded. 

Holding these licenses or certifications makes you a better candidate for roles in associated industries as well as being able to secure a higher salary. Those who can perform high-risk work are often highly sought after and valued team members. It is for this reason that many participants view their training as an investment in their future earning potential and career development. 

What Type Of Professions Require High-risk Work Licenses? 

There are 29 different classes of high-risk licenses and many of these licenses will have overlapping skill sets concerning the jobs they apply to. Depending on the type of job you hope to work in or the license you pursue, you may find employment in the following fields: 

  • Arborists
  • Powerline maintenance (Ausgrid for example)
  • Scaffolding
  • Forklift operator
  • Roofing
  • General construction 
  • Rigging and dogging
  • Crane operator 
  • Window washers
  • Warehouse staff

You can hold multiple licenses and license classes simultaneously, with no limitations to the number you can acquire. This makes it easier to collect a variety of sought-after skill sets within the high-risk work environment. 

Understanding Relevant Laws And Regulations

Each state or territory will have different regulations regarding high-risk work. While some licenses and certifications are recognised Australia-wide, it is important to check the rules for your location before undertaking work. 

Failure to adhere to your local legislation is a serious offence and can come with significant consequences, so always act in accordance with the regulations of your location and ensure your license is recognised.  

Applying For A License To Work In A High-risk Profession

Applications for high-risk work licences can be a little confusing and can include requests for supporting documents to be included. It is important to ensure that each step of the process is followed correctly and all requirements are met, otherwise, the application could be denied.

Working alongside a registered training organisation (RTO) can streamline and simplify this process. Not only will you be trained and assessed by an accredited assessor, but the finalisation of your statement of attainment is handled by their experienced team. You then have 60 days to apply to your local WHS regulator for a high-risk work licence and can seek your RTO’s guidance in this process as needed. 

Whether you have an existing licence and wish to enhance your skills through additional training and courses or are in the first stage of obtaining a high-risk license, Sheer Workplace Training is the RTO you can trust to get you sorted. 

Why You Should Keep Your License Up To Date 

Already have a high-risk work license but it’s due to expire? You’ll have limited time to renew these licenses before being required to undertake the linked training course all over again. 

Most high-risk work licenses are valid for a period of up to five years before renewal. Usually, you will be sent a reminder notice regarding your license’s expiry day. However, you should keep a close eye on the expiry date of your licenses and not only rely on a reminder notice. 

Renewing them on time and as quickly as possible is the best way to avoid unnecessary time and expenses related to repeated training. Also, it is important to remember that you are not permitted to carry out high-risk work while your license is expired. This could negatively impact your employer and your job security as a result. 

High-risk Licence Course Fees 

All our high-risk licence courses require all fees to be paid in advance of course commencement. We welcome group training enquiries and can negotiate course fees depending on the size of the group in question. 

Sheer Workplace Training values transparency and communication, as such all course fees and requirements will be communicated to you in full before confirmation of enrolment. 

Who can Attend? 

For most high-risk licenses, there are no prior learning or entry requirements for attendance. 

Training is open to any motivated individual, however, they will need to demonstrate competency in the English language, literacy, numeracy and visual interpretation skills. A decent level of physical fitness is necessary for competency also. 

These requirements are necessary to ensure comprehension of the course materials and a directive of governing bodies.  If you are unsure if you meet these criteria, please chat with our team before booking a course.

Train With The Best

Working in any high-risk profession requires specific qualifications and credentials and an understanding of relevant laws and regulations. Obtaining the necessary licenses is essential to ensure the safety of all involved, as well as to stay abreast of industry changes and best practices by keeping up with additional training and courses. 

At Sheer Workplace Training, we offer a variety of courses and advice for obtaining the right licenses for working in any high-risk occupation in Australia. Our dedicated trainers have first-hand industry experience and deliver all coursework in an engaging and easy-to-understand manner. 

To learn more or book your place on an upcoming training course, contact Shere Workplace Training today at 07 3901 0804